Did you Know THIS about Silver Lake, California
Posted by Jenny Durling on Thursday, November 04, 2010 at 3:14:18 PM By Jenny Durling / November 4, 2010 Comment
Whether you live in Silver Lake, are thinking about relocating to Silver Lake or simply curious, it’s always fun to hear some of the lesser- known facts about an area. Silver Lake Was Estalished in the 1900s, with the creation of the Silver Lake Reservoir. In the 1920s, City Planners started to invest in the building of underground utilities and cement streets to create a residential development in Silver Lake. The Population of Silver Lake is 30,972 as of the 2000 census, with a wide variety of subcultures and ethnicities. It is also known to have a very large gay population. Silver Lake got its name from Silver Lake Reservoir, which was named after Herman Silver, the Los Angeles Water Board commissioner who was instrumental in the establishment of the reservoir. It was originally named “Ivanhoe” by Hugo Reid, who said that the rolling hills reminded him of those in his hometown in Scotland.
Famous Residents That Live or Have Lived in Silver Lake include:
- Beck - a four-time platinum singer-songwriter popular for his music which was a combination of social criticism and musical experimentation
- Chris Parnell - one of the comedians starring in the show Saturday Night Live
- Christina Ricci - an American actress famous for her child star performances in the movies “The Addams Family,” and “Casper.”
- Eva Longoria Parker - best known for her role as Gabrielle Solis on the ABC hit TV series “Desperate Housewives.” She is now married to NBA guard Tony Parker
- Flea - bassist and co-founder of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Katy Perry - singer, songwriter, and actress who rose to fame for her song “I Kissed a Girl”
- Kiefer Sutherland - Canadian actor, director, and producer best known for his role as Jack Bauer in the Fox hit TV series “24.”
- Patrick Stewart - an English actor famous for his role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and as Professor Charles Xavier in the “X-Men” movies.
- Rachel McAdams - a Canadian actress who rose to fame in the hit movie “Mean Girls.” She also starred opposite Ryan Gosling in the film adaptation of Nicholas Sparks’ “The Notebook.”
- Richard Neutra - one of the most famous modernist architects. He is survived by his son, Dion, who now runs the Richard and Dion Architecture office in the historic Neutra Office Building in Silver Lake.
- Ryan Gosling - a Canadian actor known for his role as Noah in the movie “The Notebook,” where he starred with Rachel McAdams.
- Shirley Manson - lead singer of the alternative rock band “Garbage.”
- Scott Speedman - A Canadian actor who became popular in the TV drama series “Felicity” as Ben. He has also starred as a Vampire-Lycan hybrid in the horror film “Underworld.”
Fun Facts about Silver Lake:
- Silver Lake has been the center of Los Angeles’ alternative and indie rock scene since 1990
- Walt Disney built his first large studio here in the 1930s.
- There are two major street festivals held in Silver Lake every year, the Silver Lake Jubilee in May and the Sunset Junction Street Fair in August.
- Many famous modernist architects such as Neutra, Lautner, Schindler, Wright, and Ain, have been commissioned to build residences in Silver Lake
Silver Lake Reservoir
Home Designed by Modernist Architect Richard Neutra
Sunset Boulevard in Silver LakeFor more information on what's happening in the area, visit my Silver Lake facebook page. For information on buying or selling property in Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, and surrounding areas, contact me directly at 213-215-4758 or check out LApropertySolutions.com Jenny Durling Broker Associate L.A. Property Solutions 213-215-4758 info@LApropertySolutions.com LApropertySolutions.com Copyright © 2010 By Jenny Durling * Did you Know THIS about Silver Lake, California*